Part-time Human Resources Generalist
The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for advising and monitoring the human resource functions for the District with an emphasis on benefits, payroll, workers compensation, employee relations, personnel document management, FMLA, FLSA and any other internal administrative issues. Additional functions include coordination of recruitment process, maintenance of job descriptions, updates and management of HR policy, and provide HR policy manual training and guidance to employees. Promote performance evaluation tools and provision of payroll data for budgeting. The Human Resources Generalist reports directly to and is supervised by the Administrative Manager but is also required to work at the direction of the Fire Chief and other District Chiefs or without direct supervision to carry out routine tasks and assignments. Teamwork, service, and respect for diversity are priorities when working for the Rio Rico Medical and Fire District.
- Answer phones, direct calls, and take messages in a professional manner.
- Respond to human resources-related inquires.
- Prepare and submit payroll on time with all associated functions.Prepare and assist with employee recruitment, testing, and orientation programs.
- Coordinate open enrollments, changes, and training for employee benefit programs.
- Manage employee garnishments & associated paperwork.
- Maintain and update employee files/data including certifications as assigned.
- Manage calendar of employee physical examinations appointments and documentation.
- Organize and prepare for annual audit with respect to personnel files and benefits information.
- Conduct basic research regarding human resources and labor laws as requested by Fire Chief or Administrative Manager. Works closely with the District Legal consultant as needed.
- Process complaints regarding sexual harassment, discrimination, or other instances of workplace harassment and assist in any necessary investigations and disciplinary actions.
- Establish and maintain web based and ACH accounts for taxes and benefits.
- Type and distribute correspondence and memos as requested.
- Maintain and update skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office, Payroll Software, Outlook, Zoom, Internet use and any other applicable programs. Notify Administrative Manager of individual learning needs.
- Conduct exit interviews and recommend corrective action if necessary.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of:
• Human Resources and payroll-related responsibilities
• Federal and state employment law and compliance requirements
• OSHA regulations and compliance
• Garnishment requirements and procedures
• QuickBooks software
• Microsoft Office including Microsoft Teams, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint & Word • Requirements for segregation of responsibilities and duties
• Document maintenance and storage systems
• Organizational filing systems
- work independently with minimal supervision for daily duties
- understand personnel and compliance records management
- effectively collaborate with the Executive Management Team and office staff
- effectively communicate verbal, written, and interpersonal
- follow verbal and written instructions
- maintain confidentiality
- appropriately handle sensitive and/or confidential information
- handle the physical requirements of the job under stressful and adverse conditions
- read and accurately interpret documents
- analyze information and report it to the appropriate individual correctly
- identify problems and make recommendations for change/improvement
- research and accurately report trends in human resources and labor laws
- review and recommend programs to meet administrative training needs
- Must attend all required hours of annual training of continuing Education and District requirements.
- The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Desired Education, Experience & Training
- Five (5) years of experience in Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources or related field;
- or Associates Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field plus three years of experience, including banking, CPA or business management;
- or Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or other related field, plus three years of experience, including banking, CPA or business management
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License
- HS Diploma/GED
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook)
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred
- Speak, read, and write the English language
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
- Meet insurability requirements of the District’s insurance carrier.
• Ethical Conduct
• Stress and Time Management • Problem Solving/Analysis
• Teamwork Oriented
• Diversity and Inclusion